Student assistant position at BioFabLab RUC
Image: workshop from the kopenlab citizen science festival
BioFabLab RUC has a vacant position as a student assistant. It’s a part-time project position from June until the end of December.
(Official job post at RUC jobbank)
About BioFabLab RUC
BioFabLab RUC is a biological extension of Fablab RUC with the same methods and philosophy. It’s a biological prototyping workshop and laboratory. We evolve prototypes consisting of and containing living matter and materials. We work with any kind of organism or biological matter such as fungi, DNA, tissue cultures, bacteria, algae, wastewater and plants. We apply hands-on rapid prototyping to solve real-world everyday problems or get new insights on basic research questions, facilitating the development of new ideas, products and services. The lab is starting up in 2017, and is currently under development. It is situated together with the fablab at RUC.
Currently the BioFabLab is setting up the biological workshop facilities, assisting student projects, preparing various interdisciplinary biology and biotech events, writing the larger project description and applying for funds and grants. The project is currently run by one project manager, and is also hiring a student assistant. Thus you will be part of a small team of 3 people that will develop the project together, but you will be situated at and work in close collaboration with the existing team at the FabLab.
- Developing the combined biological workshop and biotech laboratory. This includes planning, sourcing, designing lab, buying, collecting, and building equipment.
- Planning and helping out at events.
- Help the team with the weekly open lab day / afternoon.
- Help people that want to use the lab and answer general questions about the BioFabLab.
Some of these skills or experiences will be good, but we are aware of the large diversity of people and skills that can work in such a context. We encourage you to apply even though you don’t completely fit to this list.
- Writing and speaking English, and preferably some Danish/Scandinavian.
- Hands-on and work experience from a fablab, maker, hacker or biohacker space.
- Drivers license.
- Biological insight and experience from earlier studies, voluntary work or mere individual curiosity.
- Most days we expect you to structure your own time. So we need you to be self-reliant in doing so.
You will be hired based on agreement between the national union of teaching assistants and the Danish Ministry of Finance as a student assistant. Current hourly wage is 154,80 DKK exclusive holiday allowance . You will be hired for 7h/week. . The position is a temporary position terminating on 15th of December 2017.
- You have the possibility of learning how to use the main machines of the fablab (Laser cutter, CNC, 3D printer etc.).
- You will get access to the lab 24/7.
- You will have access to multiple talented people which you can tap for knowledge
How to apply
You’ll be asked to supply a short motivational description and a link to CV / Portfolio. Applicants will be called in for an interview as suitable candidates apply, starting from the 1st or 15th of August.
Questions and comments:
If you have questions or comments contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or +45 61713656